Everything has been smelling like fall lately. Just the way October should smell. I decided tonight would be the night I made my house smell like fall too. These cookies did just the trick. Now I’m usually more of an apples person when it comes to baking in the fall but these little bites of heaven tasted like a miniature cake they were so soft! The icing I had made a little too thin so I need to still work on perfecting that but otherwise they tasted like the perfect way to welcome in fall!
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup light butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
3 Tbsp milk
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves and salt; set aside.
2) In a medium bowl, cream together the 1/2 cup of butter and sugar. Add pumpkin, egg, and 1 tsp. vanilla to butter mixture, and beat until creamy.
3) Mix in dry ingredients. Drop on cookie sheet by tablespoonful’s; flatten slightly with back of spoon.
4) Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven.
5) To make the glaze, combine confectioners’ sugar, milk, melted butter and 1 tsp. vanilla. Add milk as needed to achieve drizzling consistency.
6) Cool cookies, then drizzle glaze with fork.